Ambient/ Noise Mixes collected

I've always liked making unsettling ambient music and soundscapes, though to be honest I've never actually "composed" any pieces in this style. That is to say they are largely improvised or process based (feedback being my main process), so I don't mind giving them away for free. I see these recordings as studies for my next big project, which will be highly composed/constructed and mixed in 5.1 surround sound. To the chase I am now cutting.

Live at Lazybird, Dublin, 20-02-05

This is a recording of my very first gig in a public venue (having played tunes at parties and stuff before). I had started using Native Instruments Reaktor in conjunction with a mixer, a modified guitar and a loop sampler 2 months before, and nervously left a CD of some of the recordings in with the guys who ran Lazybird, a weekly Sunday night oasis of all things weird and wonderful on the experimental music front in Dublin. I was surprised when they got back to me a few days later to offer me a gig. It's an oddly bowel-loosening experience, the waiting to go on stage if you've never done it before! Pre-gig shit out of the way when I got on stage I realised that my MIDI controller wasn't working but I managed to get over it quickly enough and got down to making the noise.

Ambnoiund Mix
I did this one for Paul Grant's show on Power FM last year some time. It's a mix of older recordings from the archives, made with an assortment of zithers, motors, effects units and loopers.

What You See Is What You're Given

This is another mix I did for !kaboogie in December 2008. It's a .ZIP file so you'll have to download it if you want to listen to it! I assembled it from improvisations I recorded in preparation for my set at Second Square to None #1 on 30-11-08 in The Joy Gallery, Dublin. That's the next set:

Live @ The Joy Gallery

Winter...I definitely write differently when it's cold! Both this and the previous mix were made with the same gear and techniques so sound quite similar. I collected some more of the recordings made around this time and will make a mini-release of them for anyone interested in the coming hours/days. Like I say, someone may find some value in them if I make them available...otherwise they'll stay unheard on my hard drive.

So yeh...this is just a taste - the main function these experiments has is to provide the raw material I make my more edited music with. A word of advise - listen to these on headphones in the dark for best results.

0 comments:

Post a Comment